II. Campus, Organization and Staff
In 1933, Donglu University initiated a specialized associate program in medicine and this has since evolved and grown into the Kunming Medical University (KMU) of today.
In 1937, the program expanded and became known as the School of Medicine of Yunnan University, formerly known as Donglu University. In 1956, the School became an independent medical education institution known as Kunming Medical College, and in 1993 was listed among the key higher education institutions in the province. Since its inception, Kunming Medical University has established itself as the largest specialized medical university in Yunnan and leads the way in medical education, scientific research and medical services.
In the 75 years since its inception, Kunming Medical University has not only provided higher level medical education but also has taken responsibility for the development of medical and health care in Yunnan province. The over 60,000 graduates of KMU have made an outstanding contribution to the economic and social development of the whole province.
The campus of the university occupies 125.4 hectares. It has over 14,000 students, of which nearly 1,600 are graduate students. The University has 6,500 staff, and over 1,250 are professors and associate professors.
KMU has 13 schools, offering 16 Bachelor's Degree programs, 33 Master's Degree programs, and 1 Doctor's Degree program. It has 5 research institutes, 10 affiliated hospitals, 9 teaching hospitals, 39 practice hospitals, 9 forensic medicine sites, 6 preventive medicine practice sites, 4 pharmaceutical practice sites, and 2 optical practice sites. All of this provides KMU students with a stable study and practical environment.
With a collection of nearly 1,000,000 books, the university library has been designated as Yunnan's Central Sharing Library Network of National Literature. It is also a First-class Repository for China's Medical and Academic Literature. KMU is a National Clinical Medicine Trial Center, and Yunnan Provincial Expert Testimony Center.
The 10 affiliated hospitals of Kunming Medical University have more than 10,000 patient beds. Seven of the affiliated hospitals are accredited as being Level-A Tertiary General Hospitals of China. The First Affiliated Hospital has around 4,000 outpatients per day and is the largest general hospital in the province. The Second Affiliated Hospital is among the "100 Best Hospitals of China" and is the center for both human organ transplants and burn treatments in Yunnan. The Third Affiliated Hospital is the largest cancer hospital in the province and houses three provincial cancer research centers. The Affiliated Stomatology Hospital has over 100 dental chairs and uses the most advanced technology available. It is the largest specialized stomatology hospital in Yunnan.
Yunnan boasts abundant natural resources with which KMU has been carrying out extensive scientific research on Yunnan's common, endemic and frequently encountered diseases, while constantly using the most advanced technologies for diagnosis and treatment. KMU is involved in several phases of scientific research. This includes basic, application and developmental research, involving multiple subjects and specialties. KMU is responsible for large numbers of national and provincial key scientific projects and international cooperation programs. Since 2004, there have been nearly 1000 scientific research awards won on the national and provincial levels, as well as technological invention awards, scientific and technological progress awards, and many others. KMU is a leader in the province's medicine and health field.
III. International Exchange
Kunming Medical University has made remarkable achievements in the area of international exchange and cooperation. It has launched inter-institutional academic partnerships and exchange programs with medical schools and institutions in more than 40 countries worldwide, such as France, the U.S.A, Sweden, Italy, Germany, Australia, Japan, Thailand and Vietnam. It also conferred the titles of honorary professor and guest professor to more than 60 foreign scholars.
Since 1998, KMU has recruited and trained graduate students, undergraduate students, advanced medical students and Chinese language students from 24 countries and regions, such as America, UK, France, Japan, Germany, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan.
VI. Schools and Institutes
- ◇ School of Basic Medical Sciences
- No. 1 School of Clinical Medicine
- No. 2 School of Clinical Medicine
- School of Clinical Oncology
- School of Stomatology
- School of Forensic Medicine
- School of Nursing
- School of Public Health
- School of Pharmaceutical Science
- School of Humanities and Social Science
- School of Continuing Education
- School of Advanced Vocational Education and Training
- Haiyuan College
- Institute of Health Science
- Institute of Neuroscience
- Institute of Higher Medical Education
- Clinical Skill Training Center
- Yunnan Key Laboratory of Pharmacology for Natural Products
- Biomedical Engineering Research Center
- Scientific Research Center
1. KMU provides Bachelor's programs in 16 fields:
- Clinical Medicine (5 years)
- Clinical Medicine (Oncology)(5 year)
- Stomatology (5 years)
- Clinical Anaesthesiology (5 years)
- Laboratory Medicine (5 years)
- Medical Imaging (5 years)
- Optometry (5 years)
- Forensic Medicine (5 years)
- Preventive Medicine (5 years)
- Nursing (4 years)
- Pharmaceutical Sciences (4 years)
- Public Health Management (4 years)
- Labor & Social Security (4 years)
- Law (Medical Law) (4 years)
- Rehabilitation Treatment (4 years)
- Aesthetic Medicine (4 years)
- Pharmaceutical Preparation (4 years)
2. KMU provides 3-year Master's programs in 33 fields:
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Human Anatomy & Histology and Embryology
- Pathogenic Biology
- Pathology and Pathophysiology
- Forensic Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Psychiatry and Mental Health
- Dermatology and Venereology
- Radiology and Nuclear Medicine
- Clinical Laboratory Diagnostics?
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Oral Basic Medicine
- Oral Clinical Medicine
- Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- Occupational and Environmental Health
- Maternal and Child Health Care
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Social Medicine and Public Health Management
- Rehabilitation and Physical Medicine
- Emergency Medicine
- Health Toxicology
- Combination of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Western Medicine
3. KMU also provides one 3-year Doctorate program:
Surgery (includes seven disciplines: General Surgery, Neurosurgery, Orthopedic Surgery, Plastic Surgery, Thoracic Surgery, Cardiac Surgery, Burns Surgery)
Abiding by the University's motto "Moral Advocacy, Intensive Study, Unity and Devotion", Kunming Medical University is striving to become a high-level provincial medical university in western China, and also a high level medical university combining teaching, scientific research, and clinical medicine that will influence Southeast Asia.
Office of International Exchange & Cooperation
No.191 West Renmin Rd.
Tel: +86-871-5354878, +86-871-5333741
Web : Web: http://www.kmmu.edu.cn